Monday 23 October 2017

Monkey Creatures

While working on the latest MATS assignment for Lilla Rogers Studio (which I will blog about very soon) I was drawing some creatures that I (at least) don't usually know. 
From Okapis to Tapirs to these guys:



Who are Lion Tamarins - a type of monkey that look as though they have lion manes. It was just after I'd got back from Japan, so I was spending some jet lagged woozy days sitting around, playing with the kuretakes, brush pens and silky ink I had brought back with me. The cheeky monkey faces made me smile when they came alive and I knew I wanted to use them in some way. I still am going to develop them by adding colours and more hand-sewn techniques in the very near future... but I refined and made a bunch of them, then I spent some time trying to make them into a repeat pattern. My first idea was to create a shirt just for me to wear... but it wasn't really working out, I felt like they needed more play. So one evening, after work, I sat down and started to embroider one of the monkeys on to calico and appliqué his body. 


I really loved how he came out, so then I did eight more!


Then made them into these monkey shaped pillows/toys/decorations 







I still want to make a monkey themed item of clothing and play with different versions in some bright colours. But I love these so much! I love their cheeky faces and how funny these objects are. What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment